AWS to Reduce Cost
Migrating and Managing an Enterprise Application for VA and Other Customers to AWS to Reduce Cost
In early 2013 the application provider made a decision to migrate their OB10 eInvoicing application processing from their U.S. based Datacenter to a secure Cloud environment serving the Department of Veteran Affairs Financial Services Center and other U.S. based clients.
This cloud migration was targeted to result in lower operational costs for their eInvoicing application processing, and provide VA-FSC with the same level of security as their current requirements mandated.
In order to forklift OB10’s entire datacenter infrastructure to the Amazon Web Services cloud A&T Systems initiated a Phased Approach consisting of 8 steps:
- Cloud Environment Assessment & Design
- Cloud Environment Migration Planning
- Cloud Environment Provisioning & Deployment
- Cloud Configuration Adjustment/Fine Tuning/Optimization
- Setup and Configure Managed Services
- UAT Testing
- Migration of Data through the Cloud Kiosk to the proper Instances
We developed and followed a detailed Project Plan and Work Breakdown Structure to meet all imposed deadlines. Managed Services included:
- Continuous Systems Monitoring and network monitoring including IDS/IPS.
- Backup and Restore Services
- Log management and analysis
- Vulnerability Scanning
- Patching/Upgrades of Servers OS-level software
- 24/7 On-call Support
In addition to lowering the cost of operation with any capital expenditure, OB-10 and its customers received the following benefits from this migration to AWS:
- High availability with multiple fault-tolerant Availability Zones for COOP/DR and failover;
- Scalability with the ability to add 100s of virtual machines;
- Fast Deployment without the lead time for implementing physical infrastructure;
- Open and Flexible Architecture allowing OB10 to mix and match OS and platform types; and
- Security with industry recognized certifications and audit that meet federal requirements.